GAMES & THINGS: December 19, 2014
Each week, Fanboy the Comic Imp spotlights a few of his favorite recent game releases. Here’s what FB’s playing this week:
PATHFINDER CAMPAIGN SETTING: LOST TREASURES (PFRPG)
Treasure hunting isn’t just a job. For the most passionate adventurers, it’s the thrill of finally holding a legendary item in your hand, or the flash of insight when you unravel the function of a mysterious magical object, that justifies risking life and limb. From powerful magical weapons like the Pale Maiden and Traitor’s Blade to items like the Beacon of the North and the Witchmarket Coin that carry you vast distances into uncharted realms, the best treasures capture an adventurer’s imagination. Now delve into the dragon’s hoard and discover for yourself some of the most exotic and sought-after items in the Pathfinder campaign setting.
Inside this book you’ll find dozens of marvelous treasures, as well as the tools to integrate them into any Pathfinder RPG adventure, including the treasure troves in which they rest. Whether you’re looking for an item to serve as the seed of a new campaign, or simply want to surprise your players with new loot, Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Lost Treasures delivers, including:
- More than 40 legendary magical and mundane treasures, from the planar compasses known as astralabes to the dinosaur-controlling Zoic of the Primeval. Each item comes complete with game statistics, a full history, and plot hooks to help you place it into an ongoing campaign or make its discovery the cornerstone for new adventures.
- Information on a dozen legendary treasure hoards hidden throughout the Inner Sea region and beyond.
- New curses that can easily be applied to any item, guardian, or treasure trove, adding perilous potential to even the most mundane discovery.
Magical treasure chests with unique defenses and abilities, often as strange and valuable as the wonders they contain.
Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Lost Treasures is intended for use with the Pathfinder campaign setting, but can be easily adapted to any fantasy world.
Written by Judy Bauer, Savannah Broadway, John Compton, Ron Lundeen, Levi Miles, Justin Riddler, F. Wesley Schneider, Mike Shel, Christina Stiles, James L. Sutter, and Jerome Virnich
Cover Art by Igor Grechanyi
PATHFINDER PLAYER COMPANION: GIANT HUNTER’S HANDBOOK (PFRPG)
Get ready to take on the biggest challenges of your adventuring career with Pathfinder Player Companion: Giant Hunter’s Handbook! Whether you’re facing ogres in the untamed mountains or risking the wrath of the rune giants in ancient ruins, this volume gives you everything you need to even the odds against giants of every type!
Giant Hunter’s Handbook contains player-focused, in-depth discussions preparing you to face, negotiate with, and ultimately lay low some of the Pathfinder RPG’s most intimidating foes. Each Pathfinder Player Companion includes new options and tools for every Pathfinder RPG player. Inside this book you’ll find:
- Traits and advice for characters with backgrounds impacted by the ravages of monstrous giant clans.
- Details on Golarion’s most famous giant-hunting organizations, as well as teamwork feats to help your own giant-hunting team achieve victory and glory.
- New archetypes that help characters take on giants on an equal footing, including the goliath druid, who can grow to giant size, and the titan fighter, who can wield oversized weapons.
- A preview of the upcoming Giantslayer Adventure Path,as well as campaign traits and suggestions guaranteed to aid you throughout this titanic campaign.
- New equipment, feats, magic items, spells, methods for shrinking oversized giant treasure down to a useful scale, and much, much more!
This Pathfinder Player Companion is intended for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and the Pathfinder campaign setting, but can easily be incorporated into any fantasy world.
Written by Alexander Augunas, Luis Loza, Ron Lundeen, and David Ross.
Cover Art by Jason Engle.
Each monthly 32-page Pathfinder Player Companion contains several player-focused articles exploring the volume’s theme as well as short articles with innovative new rules for all types of characters, as well as traits to better anchor the player to the campaign.
PATHFINDER MAP PACK: BOARDING ACTION
Batten Down the Hatches!
Dawn breaks over the waters and a salty tang seasons the breeze, promising fair winds and following seas. Whether your heroes are investigating mutinous intrigues or setting off for treasure-laden pirate islands, there’s no need to sketch every gangway and gunwale. This Pathfinder Map Pack provides stunningly crafted 5″ × 8″ map tiles that can be positioned to form a variety of modular, customizable ship decks. Inside, you’ll find 18 richly crafted map tiles, including:
- Prow and Figurehead
- Cluttered Stern
- Port Companionway
- Starboard Rail
- Boarding Planks
- Narrow Forecastle
- Tiller Deck
- Cargo Grate
- Treasure Chest Alcove
Game Masters shouldn’t waste their time drawing maps every time adventurers brave the deep blue sea. With Pathfinder Map Pack: Boarding Action, you’ll be ready whenever the horizon calls!
Wet, dry, and permanent markers erase from the tiles! With revised packaging that includes a reusable box for easy storage, Map Packs have never been so useful!
PATHFINDER ADVENTURE PATH #89: PALACE OF FALLEN STARS (IRON GODS 5 OF 6) (PFRPG)
Chapter 5: “Palace of Fallen Stars”
By Tim Hitchcock
Here There Be Robots!
Numeria’s capital city of Starfall sprawls in the shadow of the region’s most infamous ruin, Silver Mount. Here, the sadistic Technic League and the Black Sovereign rule the land and control access to incredible and dangerous technological wonders, including the mysterious Silver Mount itself. Somewhere deep within that ruined starship, the greatest of the Iron Gods is rising to power. But before the heroes of Numeria can oppose it, they must contend with the Technic League and the Black Sovereign, for these oppressive rulers control access to the legendary site. Will the technological wonders gathered from across Numeria and the clues gleaned from an ancient android oracle be enough for the heroes to prevail, or will they be crushed under the Technic League’s metal boot?
This volume of Pathfinder Adventure Path continues the Iron Gods Adventure Path and includes:
- “Palace of Fallen Stars,” a Pathfinder adventure for 13th-level characters, by Tim Hitchcock.
- A look behind the walls of Starfall, Numeria’s dangerous capital city, by Tim Hitchcock.
- A study of the nihilistic faith of Zyphus, god of accidental death, by Sean K Reynolds.
- Devotion and danger in the Pathfinder’s Journal, by Amber E. Scott.
- Four new monsters, by Benjamin Bruck, Tim Hitchcock, Sean K Reynolds, and Larry Wilhelm
Each monthly full-color softcover Pathfinder Adventure Path volume contains an in-depth adventure scenario, stats for several new monsters, and support articles meant to give Game Masters additional material to expand their campaign. Pathfinder Adventure Path volumes use the Open Game License and work with both the Pathfinder RPG and the world’s oldest fantasy RPG.
PATHFINDER ADVENTURE CARD GAME
SKULL & SHACKLES ADVENTURE DECK 4: ISLAND OF EMPTY EYES
The time has come to claim your prize from the Free Captains’ Regatta: the supposedly uninhabited Island of Empty Eyes. The ruins prove to be a bit more inhabited—and dangerous—than they might have first appeared. In the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Island of Empty Eyes Adventure Deck, you must tame the island, throw a rollicking feast, and gain seats on the Pirate Council. This 110-card expansion includes new rare loot cards and 5 new scenarios that make up the complete Island of Empty Eyes adventure, along with new monsters, locations, villains, and more. Continue your character’s legend with the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Island of Empty Eyes Adventure Deck.
CODEX: BLOOD ANGELS
Staunch defenders of the Imperium from their earliest days, the Blood Angels are a proud and noble Space Marine Chapter who fight to protect the Emperor’s realm and to atone for their own hidden failings. For they hide an inner darkness, a gene-curse which reduces their most courageous warriors to raving, blood-mad beasts.
This 112-page, full colour hardback codex contains:
- Background of the origin of the Blood Angels, their Chapter organisation, successor Chapters, colour schemes and heraldry
- Details of a brand new Blood Angels successor Chapter, the Carmine Blades
- An explanation of the most famous events and battles from the Chapter’s history
- Descriptions of all of the units and characters available to the Blood Angels
- A showcase of beautifully painted Blood Angels miniatures
- Rules for fielding your collection of Blood Angels in games of Warhammer 40,000 including army special rules, warlord traits, and a formation for a Battle Company
- Wargear includes weapons only available to the Blood Angels, special issue wargear and the Relics of Baal
- The Sanguinary Discipline – with psychic powers only available to the Blood Angels
- Baal Strike Force – a unique Detachment force organisation chart
- 6 Tactical Objectives exclusive to the Blood Angels
MAGIC THE GATHERING
DUEL DECKS ANTHOLOGY
Never before have so many gathered in one place. These will be fights to remember.
These eight, ready-to-play, 60-card Magicdecks showcase our first four dueling match-ups. Rejoin the fray as the game’s most famous Planeswalkers go head to head. Relive the Divine clashing with the Demonic, and Elves confronting Goblins. Replay the original duels, or mix and match the combatants to create new battles across the Multiverse.
Duel Decks: Anthology contains all eight decks from the first four Duel Decks products:
Duel Decks: Elves vs. Goblins
Duel Decks: Jace vs. Chandra
Duel Decks: Divine vs. Demonic
Duel Decks: Garruk vs. Liliana
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS
DUNGEON MASTER’S GUIDE
Everything a Dungeon Master needs to weave legendary stories for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.
The Dungeon Master’s Guide provides the inspiration and the guidance you need to spark your imagination and create worlds of adventure for your players to explore and enjoy.
Inside you’ll find world-building tools, tips and tricks for creating memorable dungeons and adventures, optional game rules, hundreds of classic D&D magic items, and much more!
PATHFINDER BATTLES: LOST COAST
The Lost Coast is the name given to the coastal land of southwestern Varisia stretching from the city of Magnimar to the Fogscar Mountains. It is a wild and desolate country full of lingering fogs, small woodlands of pine and nettles along a rocky coastline of ragged bluffs and crashing waves. Many an adventuring party has travelled to the Lost Coast seeking fame and riches, never to be heard from again…
Lost Coast is the latest 45-figure set release in the award-winning Pathfinder Battles line of miniatures from Paizo and WizKids Games! The Lost Coast features friends and foes from the region of the same name, and is sure to please Pathfinder fans new and veteran alike!
Pathfinder Battles figures come in a variety of randomly assorted packaging options.
- Lost Coast Standard Boosters contain 1 Large figure and 3 Medium or Small figures
- Lost Coast Standard Bricks contain 8 Standard Boosters (32 figures total)
- Lost Coast Standard Cases contain 4 Standard Bricks (32 Standard Boosters, 128 figures total)
MUNCHKIN GAME CHANGERS
More Munchkin Stuff!
Want more silly cards for your Munchkin game? Some cool level counters? Giant pink sparkly dice?! Here they are! This box combines four of our most popular Munchkin boosters into a single expansion:
- Fairy Dust gives you new cards for being nice!
- Munchkinomicon gives you new cards for being nasty!
- Monster Enhancers is full of ways to help the monsters!
- Reloaded! is full of ways to help the players!
As a bonus, we’ve included the cards from Munchkin Fairy Dust Dice and two big sparkly pink dice to go with them, plus four cards formerly only available directly from Steve Jackson Games! This set also introduces new Fairy Dust and Munchkinomicon-themed level counters!
Comic Emporium, LLC Panama City, Florida
Magic: the Gathering Warhammer Dungeons & Dragons
Comics Games Collectibles
All images and text are copyright and trademark of their respective owners.